Tuesday, January 20, 2009

curry lamb casserole thing

I cooked!
This may not sound like a big surprise coming from someone who bakes professionally, but I am terrible about collecting recipes from books and magazines with Good Intentions to cook them and then, oops, staying at work 3 hours late and just making peanut butter and jelly.
Poor Thomas... he gets promises of yummy dishes that just don't materialize!

However, I made myself go on and purchase the fixins for this one so that I'd HAVE to make it and it's pretty good!
I made a half recipe (better for just two of us with a few leftovers or if you're a little tight on cash for lamb!), so I'm putting those instructions here. I added my notes in red and edited a little for clarity.

Mild Curried Lamb Casserole with Almonds
from Martha Stewart Living (I think January, but maybe February issue...)

1 1/2 Tbl olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 Tbl fresh minced ginger
(I'll add a little more next time)
coarse salt and pepper
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
(I'd add a little more)
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cardamom
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1 pound ground lamb
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
(I'll use 1/2 cup next time)
2 slices white bread, crusts removed
1/8 cup and 3/4 cup whole milk
(I bet coconut milk would be interesting)
1 Tbl apricot preserves
(I'll use 2 Tbl next time)
1 Tbl fresh lemon juice
2 large eggs
pinch ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp lemon zest
2 dried bay leaves
(I'd say these are optional)
cilantro and rice, for serving

Preheat oven to 325.
Heat a large saute pan (and if you double the above recipe you will need a LARGE one, you're putting just about everything into it!) over medium-high heat.
Add oil, onions, and fresh ginger; cook until onions are golden and tender, about 15 min.
Mix turmeric, cumin, coriander, cayenne, cinnamon, cardamom, and ground ginger together, then stir into the onions. Add the lamb also and cook until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Add almonds and cook 2 more minutes.
Tear the bread into largish pieces and place in a small bowl; add the 1/8 cup milk and a pinch of salt and let it stand until absorbed. Add the bread to the lamb and cook, stirring a lot, about 2 minutes.

Now stir in the apricot preserves and lemon juice; cook 2 more minutes, then remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
Spoon the lamb/onion mixture into a 6 cup baking dish.
In a small bowl, whisk eggs, nutmeg, lemon zest, and the 3/4 cup milk together, then pour this over the lamb. Place the bay leaves on top.
Bake until the egg mixture is set around edges and center isn't runny anymore, about 25-30 minutes. Let stand 15-20 minutes before serving (the perfect amount of time to cook your rice!).
I served with rice and chopped cilantro. Martha also suggests mango chutney, sliced banana, and/or unsweetened coconut flakes as toppers.

Yummy!!!

1 comment:

Michael Hughes said...

This sounds simply wonderful! I'm going to have to give this a whirl.